The phd green card is a dream of many international students. They spend a decade or more studying for their degree, so getting one and being able to stay in the US are important goals. However, US immigration law has a few hurdles for these PhD students to overcome.

Can I get green card EB1 without PhD?

One way is to get a green card through the EB-1 category, which includes options like EB-1A for extraordinary talent and achievements or EB-1B for professors and outstanding researchers. This category requires the petitioner to provide certain documentation that proves their work is significant and useful in the field – examples include a major award showing national or international recognition, or scholarly articles that have appeared in distinguished publications in the field.

Another option is the EB-2 national interest waiver (NIW) category. Unlike the EB-1 categories, this one does not have a job offer requirement. To qualify for this, the PhD student should have a record of achievement in the field, including participation in research projects funded by government agencies, publications and conference presentations. Strong reference letters from colleagues are also crucial.

A bill passed by Congress recently, called the America COMPETES Act, aims to boost US manufacturing and research, and would give STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) PhD graduates a direct path to a green card. However, it has been shelved for now. Regardless of what type of green card is pursued, it is essential to have the credentials and qualifications evaluated by experienced US immigration attorneys before attempting to apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *